Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Ever Been Fired?

I sure have.

I got fired a little over a year ago. It was, in my mind, one of the worst things that could happen to me. It was a decent job, but a better stepping stone to place on my eventual resume. Actually, it was a great job for what I was doing, but a bad job because it paid so VERY little for what I did. And I did a lot.

But one day, I made a mistake. Not a particularly bad or big mistake, just one that management felt they needed to "take care of the problem" for one of their sponsors. I had messed up with the potential to make a big sponsor angry. Someone needed to get the axe.

So I was fired.

I felt crushed. I felt like I had poured my life and devotion into this job, and I felt unrecognized for it. I couldn't believe it. Beth was with me at the time, and knew how crushed I was. So we decided to do something crazy. I had a few days until school started back for the spring semester, and suddenly I had some free time. We decided to take a random road trip, going to Savannah. It was one of the most enjoyable times, simply because for the first time in years, I had no responsibilities. No job, no school, no nothing. As scary as it was at first, I got past the fear; I would find another job, things would work out. They always do.

I haven't felt more free since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment