Pages

Monday, November 19, 2007

Let's See How Far We've Come

We've heard it all before. Musicians and others with these dystopian songs about how everything is going down the drain. Most recently to do this is the band Matchbox 20, with their song, "How Far We've Come." The lyrics to the chorus include:

But I believe the world is burning to the ground
oh well I guess we're gonna find out
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come
Well I, believe, it all, is coming to an end
oh well, I guess, we're gonna pretend,
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come

Another lyric says:

I sat down on the street, took a look at myself
said where you going man you know the world is headed for hell


I know you've heard me on this topic before, but I always get so ticked off when people sing about and talk about this sort of pessimism that everything is falling apart.



I heard somewhere that throughout the generations, two things have remained true:
-The world is constantly getting better.
-Everybody thinks it's getting worse.




And I really agree with that. How is the world worse off than it was 10 years ago? 50 years? 100 years? 500 years? All I can see are VAST improvements through the generations. Life expectancy is going up almost everywhere, there are cures for diseases that once plagued us, more people are being fed than ever. Thanks to the internet and other forms of communication, people all around the world are able to get the knowledge and information they need. People get more information in one newspaper today than someone did in their WHOLE LIFE 300 years ago.

We still have strides to take before everyone is being fed, and poverty ends. But I believe we're getting there. And we're getting there thanks to technological, scientific, and medical advances, and so on. Things are not worse off than before, we're just more aware of everything around us.


Yes, let's look at how far we've come. It's been a long way. But we have so much more ground to cover. I'm optimistic.

2 comments:

  1. i'd beg to differ. the world is getting worse and worse, maybe not as far as technology goes, but for sure the world is getting worse in areas such as ethics and in compassion for our fellow man. the Bible says that in the last days, knowledge shall increase, but it also says that "...because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold" Matt 24:12. look around you and you'll find that the evidence is there; this world is ending and God is coming to take home the ones who love Him. I beg you to prepare your hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd beg to differ as well. I believe that compassion for our fellow man has gone up--I'll admit it's partially because we're so much more aware of the rest of the world now than we were decades and decades ago.

    I don't believe that ethics have gotten worse either--they've always been bad. Once again, we're just more aware of them than we have in the past. Divorce rates have been dropping (partially because marriage has dropping), abortion rates are lowering progressively.


    Now, I'll never say that things are going great, nor do I think they ever will. But this whole idea we Christians pass around that things are progressively getting worse just is not true in my opinion. They've always been bad.

    I think that we do have more compassion now--more people are working towards helping people in suffering countries. We've given more to humanitarian causes presently than we ever have in the past.


    Again, don't get me wrong. Suffering and inhumanity abounds in the world, just as it always has. Things are still horrible for a majority of our world's population. But I'm saying I have hope that we are working towards helping those in needs, moreso now. I'm confident that as we become more and more aware, we will want to help those in need.

    That's what I pray, at least.

    ReplyDelete