Here are some of my favorite albums of the year.
20. The Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards
Of all Jack White's side-projects this is probably my least favorite. But that's not saying much. Still a great band, still a phenomenal album.
19. Band of Horses - Infinite Arms
Upon first listening I was actually very disappointed. But something happened between now and then-- now I have a much greater appreciation for it.
18. John Mark McMillan - The Medicine
Technically this could be considered an '09 release. But it was pulled and then re-released this year. I'll let it slide.
17. Vampire Weekend - Contra
They took all the things haters complained about in their first album and cranked it up.
16. Horse Feathers - Thistled Spring
Somewhat brighter than their previous albums, and just as good.
15. Cloud Cult - Light Chasers
As I write this I wonder why this isn't higher on the list. Phenomenal album.
14. Best Coast - Crazy Fot You
It's a little hard to sing these songs in public. But they're so catchy it's a little hard not to.
13. Sleigh Bells - Treats
I never thought I'd hear this kind of mash-up of genres. For the most part it's pulled off incredibly.
12. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
Another genre that I usually don't gravitate towards, but this album is just amazing.
11. The Black Keys - Brothers
This is the album I wanted their last couple to be.
10. Jonsi - Go
This was the sound of our Spring.
9. Janelle Monae - The Archandroid
One of the most ambitious debut albums I've ever heard.
8. Shad - TSOL
The best hip hop artist you may have never heard of.
7. Frightened Rabbit - The Winter of Mixed Drinks
One of the most consistent albums of the year. Just as good as their previous record.
6. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Not a lot of beauty on this album, but the ambition and scope is just incredible.
5. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Despite being a band that's way too serious for it's own good, I really admire them at the same time.
4. The National - High Violet
I had extremely high expectations with this album, and wasn't let down one bit.
3. Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More
I've heard this band compared to the Avett Brothers and Fleet Foxes, among others. While there are definite similarities, there are just as many distinctions.
2. The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt
My surprise album and favorite musical discovery of the year.
1. Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
Sufjan took noise and made it into a beautiful sound. Heartfelt, honest, and introspective.