Pages

Sunday, October 25, 2009

"Who's Afraid of Postmodernism?"




I just finished this incredible book about a week ago and have started reading it over again.  While Derrida and Foucalt are not too terribly new to me (not to say that I have a firm grasp of the subject), I loved the perspective the book gives on the aspect of how these ideas and main points of Postmodernism can be beneficial to the Church.  It's something I've been having to defend for a while now, so it's always relieving to read when much smarter people can better articulate ideas and thoughts that I've had, but they've been so disorganized and spottty.  If that makes any sense.

To quote a reviewer:

.... the central themes of three major postmodern philosophers are a threat not to biblical Christianity but only to an all too modern, all too complacent Church.  He then argues strongly for a church that learns from postmodernism how to revitalize its premodern heritage.

Needless to say, I couldn't recommend this book more.  It's a great primer to Postmodernism and the Church.

I may post more on this book while I read through it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment