Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2007

On Aging

I was flipping through a magazine, and found an article that dealt with scientists trying to find a "CURE" for aging.

Yuri Orlov in Lord of War says "I don't want to be remembered..... Being remembered means your dead."


And so on.




Now, I will go ahead and just state that I'm 21, so everything I say about getting old doesn't mean much. I still essentially believe that I am going to live forever and am invincible. Only occasionally will I realize the futility of living and how I could die from ANYTHING at ANY MOMENT. And during those moments I'm absolutely terrified.

But why is there this intrinsic fear of aging? I know it's partially because of the impending doom ahead, that every second of life is just a countdown to our potentially painful death. But aging does mean something else, something far more incredible: WE'RE ALIVE.

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts, Timmy. I think about aging a lot though. I am scared that in my old age my life will have little value to those around me. I'm scared that everyone will be tired of me and that I won't have meaningful conversations with anybody.

    The good news is -- statistically, people are happiest between the ages of 35-60, I think. So, that's a lot of years to enjoy. Hopefully, old age won't be as bad as I fear... We'll see, I guess.

    I like that Yuri Orlov quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit, I definitely think a lot about aging. In fact, despite my post, it's probably my bigggest fear. Getting old and losing everyone I love around me, not being able to do the things I used to be able to.

    It's very scary! :-)

    ReplyDelete