Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Favorite Albums of 2012

I have to admit -- I didn't really listen to as many albums this year as I would have liked. This year, for me, felt like more of a year of songs. I've got a list for that, which will be posted shortly, but for now, here's 10 of my favorite albums of the year. 




10. The Tallest Man on Earth - There’s No Leaving Now

Still not convinced this belongs on the list, but I love this guy. Not nearly as great as his previous albums, but still solid.




9.. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m. A. A. d. City

This cover art says it all.




9. Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan


Although this album is somewhat on par with what they've done in the past, I was still really surprised by it.





8. The Walkmen - Heaven


Mature, self-assured rock. Good stuff.





7. Crystal Castles - III


Perfect example of a genre that I am not completely into, where one band singularly changes my mind.




5. Freelance Whales - Diluvia


This is no sophomore slump. This takes the good points of their first album, and expands everything.





4. Jack White - Blunderbuss


Much like the White Stripes' Get Behind Me Satan, White's first solo effort is surprisingly keyboard dominated. Unexpected, but very welcome.




3. Grizzly Bear - Shields


A natural and expected album in the evolution of this fantastic band. At the height of their talents.





2. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange


Duh.





1. Japandroids - Celebration Rock

This kind of rock seems more and more rare each year. Maybe that's why why I was so pulled in by the album. The album couldn't be more aptly titled.



What about you? Did I leave anything out?

5 comments:

  1. will check them out!! i do like listening to full albums.. but for some reason i've been listening to a lot of individual songs lately... i would probably include delta spirits latest album - almost all their songs are especially perfect for roadtripping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never remember proper year albums because I'm so behind in purchasing them. That being said, and maybe I'm too mainstream, but I enjoyed the Lumineers and Mumford & Son's most recent efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and also- "Hot Cheetos & Takis". I'm not trolling, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I completely forgot about this song, but this HAS to go on my best song list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked Mumford and Sons' album, I just got to them a little late and forgot to include them. I may amend this list.

    I am embarrassed to admit, the first time I ever heard the Lumineers was last week's SNL. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete