I certainly hope I don't have that same effect on other people. If I do, and you're one of those people, please know that I will never judge anything you do. In fact, if you are a close friend, chances are I trust just about everything you say and do. So if you read/watch/listen to/do something, I automatically assume there's something worthwhile to it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I judge the action based on the person, not the other way around.
For instance, I remember while growing up through middle and high school Stephen King was an author that our youth group at church and friends at school didn't like. But when I found out my Mom enjoyed reading King when she was growing up, I decided that there must be something to King and his books (instead of deciding that my mother was a heathen and going to hell). So I picked up The Stand, read it, and loved it.
And not to sound even more ridiculous, usually if there's something that someone likes and I don't -- I think there's something wrong with me, that I'm missing something. It's never a judgement on someone else.
Unless you like that hack Justin Bieber. (fortunately he's nowhere to be found here in Russia!)
I know this is silly, but just to show you-- I'm going to share some of things I've read/seen/listened to that I'm not particularly boastful about:
- I have read (and watched) the Twilight series. I read it mostly to see what the hype was about. And I'm still trying to figure that one out. (what has happened to vampires these days??)
- I watch Desperate Housewives with my wife. It's not that bad.
- I enjoy listening to the Adam Carolla podcast.
- I was completely moved by Brokeback Mountain, but I have to admit in some areas I had mixed emotions (but that's another post for another time).
- I think Kanye West is every bit as good as he says he is. It's unfortunate, but I think he's incredibly talented.
These are just a few things that I probably don't mention much about myself-- not because I'm ashamed of them, but because of that fear that I will be judged if someone knows about it. I realize the list is somewhat silly-- but many times people tend to peg you on the little things. What are some things you fear will get you judged?