Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

[judge not, lest....]

I was surprised a couple weeks ago when I found out a very good friend of mine did not want to tell me what she was reading because she thought I would judge her.  Not only was I surprised, I was also kind of frightened.

I certainly hope I don't have that same effect on other people.  If I do, and you're one of those people, please know that I will never judge anything you do.  In fact, if you are a close friend, chances are I trust just about everything you say and do.  So if you read/watch/listen to/do something, I automatically assume there's something worthwhile to it.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I judge the action based on the person, not the other way around.

For instance, I remember while growing up through middle and high school Stephen King was an author that our youth group at church and friends at school didn't like.  But when I found out my Mom enjoyed reading King when she was growing up, I decided that there must be something to King and his books (instead of deciding that my mother was a heathen and going to hell).  So I picked up The Stand, read it, and loved it.

And not to sound even more ridiculous, usually if there's something that someone likes and I don't -- I think there's something wrong with me, that I'm missing something.  It's never a judgement on someone else.

Unless you like that hack Justin Bieber.  (fortunately he's nowhere to be found here in Russia!)

I know this is silly, but just to show you-- I'm going to share some of things I've read/seen/listened to that I'm not particularly boastful about:

  • I have read (and watched) the Twilight series.  I read it mostly to see what the hype was about.  And I'm still trying to figure that one out.  (what has happened to vampires these days??)
  • I watch Desperate Housewives with my wife.  It's not that bad.
  •  I was completely moved by Brokeback Mountain, but I have to admit in some areas I had mixed emotions (but that's another post for another time).
  • I think Kanye West is every bit as good as he says he is.  It's unfortunate, but I think he's incredibly talented.

These are just a few things that I probably don't mention much about myself-- not because I'm ashamed of them, but because of that fear that I will be judged if someone knows about it.  I realize the list is somewhat silly-- but many times people tend to peg you on the little things.  What are some things you fear will get you judged?  

    2 comments:

    1. Great post!

      For the same reasons, I tend not to mention that I am a frequent watcher of the Lifetime Movie Network. Or that I've seen some of the High School Musical movies solely for Zac Efron. And that sometimes, I work out to Justin Bieber. LOL.

      I absolutely love this line of this post: "I judge the action based on the person, not the other way around."

      I love it!

      ReplyDelete