Pages

Monday, April 7, 2008

Well, according to Ted Turner, we've got too many people on this planet.


He makes a couple statements that aren't ludicrous necessarily because they're wrong, but because we have no clue what's going to happen in the future.

Here's a few of his statements:

--"We'll be eight degrees hotter in 30 or 40 years and basically none of the crops will grow."
--"
Most of the people will have died and the rest of us will be cannibals."
--
"Civilization will have broken down. The few people left will be living in a failed state — like Somalia or Sudan — and living conditions will be intolerable."
--
"We're too many people; that's why we have global warming."


Hey then says how everyone in the world must pledge to only have one or two kids.





Six billion people is a big number. But I do not believe that we are overpopulated.

I suppose I'm shooting myself in the foot by saying this, but the fact is that we don't have enough food for six billion people. But I think we can. And call me optimistic, but part of me insists that with each child born is a potential scientist/humanitarian/whatever that will help us come up with better technology and means of getting food to everyone.

What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. He must know about some meteor we haven't seen yet. But even still, cannibals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd think that Ted Turner would want us to have more people--more people to buy Braves tickets and watch his networks. Also, eat his buffalo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. Yeah, something always rubs me the wrong way when I hear insanely rich people telling the rest of the world (which consists of mostly poorer people than Turner) what they should do. Perhaps he should give up his half of Montana (or whatever massive amount of land he owns in the U.S.) and let people live there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He owns part of Nebraska, actually.

    It's the same thing with Sheryl Crow and types like that protesting the war. I am against the war--but then I don't drive around in tour buses all year eating up oil.

    Did you know they leave the buses running the entire length of the concert? Yep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yeah, I got where he owns his land confused because of the name of his restaurants (but I think he's changing those too).

    I get so ticked off with Crow and the likes who don't mind living extravagantly with incredible wealth, but then telling everyone else how to live. I'm all for helping the environment, but it seems those who are most vocal about the environment are the most hypocritical about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ted Turner needs to shut his face and put his money where everyone else's mouth is.

    ReplyDelete