Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

30 Favorite Songs of 2009: #20-11

20.  Switchfoot - "Always"

Since high school, Switchfoot has always been a favorite of mine.  I mean, a BIG favorite.  I have to say however that I've been more disappointed with their previous two albums (Oh! Gravity and Nothing Is Sound)--although I still enjoyed them immensely.  I was really impressed with Hello Hurricane, their newest release, and picking a favorite was somewhat difficult.







19.  Built to Spill - "Things Fall Apart"

A sobering and somber song, but I felt it fit the band perfectly.  And I'm a sucker for those 6ish minute epics.  Built to Spill pulls it off perfectly.



18.  Grizzly Bear - "Two Weeks"

I just started listening to Grizzly Bear this year, and Veckatimest was the first album I picked up by then.  I thought it was great, and like most "top songs of '09," I felt that there was something incredible about this track.







17.  The Dead Weather - "Treat Me Like Your Mother"

I think I'm biased--I love anything Jack White touches.  This new super-group is no different.  Although it's not my favorite of his diverse side projects, they're still great.  And this song just perfectly encapsulates the band.  And the music video was crazy.





16.  Monsters of Folk - "The Sandman, the Brakeman, and Me"

Although their entire album is really great, I felt this song perfectly encapsulated all of the talents making up the band.






15.  David Bazan - "When We Fell"

"when you set the table
and when you chose the scale
did you write a riddle
that you knew they would fail"

"what am i afraid of
whom did i betray
in what medieval kingdom does justice work this way
if you knew what would happen and made us just the same
then you , my lord, can take the blame"

I have to admit.... this is stuff I struggle with as well.  Not only is this an incredible song, but his honesty challenges me.






14.  M. Ward - "Never Had Nobody Like You"

Another "our" song.






13.  Thao - "Body"

I love Thao.  Man.  This is a breakup song at it's finest.





12.  Cymbals Eat Guitars - "... And the Hazy Sea"








11.  fun. - "Take Your Time (Coming Home)"

I love the songs from bands showing growth and wisdom.  Some lyrical gems:

"How did I end up here?
How did I find love and conquer all my fears?
See, I made it out.
Out from under the sun.
And the truth is that I feel better because I've forgiven everyone."

"Now I'm not scared
of a song
or the states,
or the stages.
I'm not scared.
I got friends,
took my call,
came courageous.
Now I feel like I am home."

"But I too, I'm through with causing a scene."


No comments:

Post a Comment