Pages

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Favorites of 2013: TV Shows

It's that time of the year again where I chime in on some of my favorite art of the year.  Starting out, here's some of my favorite TV shows of 2013.

(For the record, I hate those little blurbs after each ranking, but I felt weird not doing it.)



10. The Walking Dead

Still inching closer and closer in zombie-like fashion to the show it needs to be, The Walking Dead is gradually getting to the point where the character drama is as good as the action. It's got a ways to go, but it's getting there.


9. Girls

I might get the most flak for this one, and it's hard to explain. I just really appreciate the honesty of this show.


8. Community

Gradually getting better as season 4 played out, Community is still among my favorite television comedies.


7. Parks and Recreation

Not quite the brilliance of previous seasons -- but it's still got the charm and the laughs. I'm just worried it might have peaked a season or two ago.


6. The Americans

One of the best new shows of the year. Fascinating look at life and espionage during the Cold War.


5. Mad Men

This season of Mad Men might be one of my favorites. With Don finally starting to own up to his faults, hopefully he'll become less fragmented as well.


4. Arrested Development

It took a few episodes, but when it got back into the groove, it could do no wrong. Although the new season had some of the worst episodes in Arrested Development history it also had some of the best.


3. Hannibal

Gruesome, but gorgeous. I never thought I'd say this, but Mads Mikkelsen gives Anthony Hopkins a run for his money. Much creepier, less tongue-in-cheek. And the broader philosophical look at life and death is astounding.


2. Southland

Southland ended as it began: not with a whimper, but a bang. Right to the heart. The only way it could have ended.


1. Breaking Bad

Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment